View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: My Stud Mistakes

First let me say I think that it's great also that you have been so forthcoming with your own self-analysis. I think that is perhaps the most difficult part for all of us that are trying to improve in any area of life, let alone our seven card stud or other poker games..to look in the mirror honestly and objectively and then make necessary changes for the better. I also think there have been many very interesting and useful suggestions in response to the original post by others here and so I thought since I also play MICRO LIMIT stud as well I'd take a stab at trying to add what I can.

First of all I think it's important the emphasis be there in terms of the limits being played because much of the advice in 7csfap is not nearly as relevant or even applicable at all in many cases there.

1. As to overepresenting aces at these limits I would agree it is a huge and costly mistake especially in loose passive type games because players almost always have what they are representing at these limits and are going to make you show down the best hand to win. Now in a very tight game at these limits to mix it up I see it as a plus as well as raising on 3rd with some of your bigger live flush draws with face card doors ,etc. as to not become too predictable.

2. As to live small pairs I disagree about playing ANYTHING live on 3rd totally for the bring in even in loose passive games; hole pairs yes because of hidden value and implied odds that are live and it's even better in late position for obvious odds reasons. And the bigger the kicker the better and the more live the better also. The obvious reason here as stated by several of the other posters is because two little pair just usually aren't going to cut it in these games, and it's also been my experience personally as well that players at these limits are much less likely to chase a paired door on 4th as well; so where is the "great" value in playing small split pairs unless they have large live kickers??

3. As to straight draws, I agree with Andi that they basically suck and must be played with much discretion even in looser type games. You couldn't pay me enough to play 8910 unless it's a straight flush draw, and really the only two I'll play are 10JQ and 910J both with at least two flushes and totally live connectors. Lets face it fellas; at these lower limits with the cheap initial cost and sometimes even no ante at all one can afford to be so selective. As another poster profoundly put your going to make 2 pair more often with these hands so that should be one of your primary considerations on 3rd street. And for that matter the same goes for flush draws.

4. Playing too many hands in general or simply staying with them too long is a very pluggable leak that through the exercise of discipline over time will become a good habit. I personally try to start out each session by making a few folds that might even be borderline too tight in certain spots just to get myself into that mode and I am definitely not staying when the bet size doubles unless my hand is already there or developing into very strong potential to be the best hand.

On a final note, I personally find the difficult and complex nature of the game one of the keys that makes it that much fun to play. As they say in 7csfap there are an infinite number of situations that can occur and I make mistakes and have the opportunity to learn from them and improve basically almost everyday. Were this not the case, I probably would have given it up long ago due to boredom..lol..good luck to all and may your warrior mentality never die... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]