View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Waiting to look at your hole cards until the action is to you

I would like to take the contrary position and advocate that it is better not to wait until the action is on you before looking at your cards - at least in low and some intermediate limit games.

1) You don't want to draw attention to yourself. The observant players will immediately see that you know what you are doing (or at least think you do). Even the unobservant will soon notice that you are not playing many hands as the action pauses, even if only briefly, when it gets to you.

2) You do not want to be perceived as taking the game too seriously, as that will cause others to tighten up.

3) You may feel pressured to make a quick decision on marginal hands so as not to give the idea that you have something to think about.

For higher stakes, NL and especially tournaments the waiting is fine, even expected. Especially in tournaments, you do want the others to notice and respect you.

I have tried to learn to give my cards a quick glance after the second is dealt while keeping an eye to my left and peripheral attention to the others while they look at their cards. You don't have to actually see them looking at their cards. Their mannerisms afterwards are where the tells are.

Some which I notice.

Covering cards with both hands or pulling them closer - these are good cards and the player is not letting go of them.

Apparent disinterest in the action without getting the cards ready to muck - this is also a strong hand.

Asking where the action is, especially if it isn't to him yet. He can't wait to get his chips in, or to see the flop if they are already in. This is a very strong hand or a big drawing hand. Watch on the flop to see which.

The manner in which the chips go into the pot.

I have never gotten much from watching a player actually look at the hole cards. And I don't want the others to think I am watching them - which is all to obvious if you wait for the action to look.