View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Re: My Stud Mistakes

1. I represent a pair of Aces on third street too often, though not all the time.

It is worth it to represent a pair of aces when...
A) you have a pocket pair that's big, but not aces
B) you might steal the blinds by doing so
C) your opponents play in such a manner that by representing aces, you are considerably more likely to win the pot without a fight on a later round

It is not worth it to represent aces when...
A) you're doing it every time you have an ace up
B) your opponents are loose calling stations
C) you have been caught bluffing recently by these opponents
D) you have a mediocre hand that is very live, but wouldn't like to be reraised

2. I play nearly all pairs for the price of the bring-in regardless of how dead my hand is.

FATAL mistake. If I have split fives, and one five is dead, I will virtually never play the hand. I am a long term winner at stud, and I feel this is the right way to play. When the pair gets much bigger, sometimes you should play anyway, but dead cards suck major ass.

3. I play nearly all three straights for the price of the bring-in regardless of how dead my hand is.

I fold most three straights, unless they have overcards and are very live. Three straights mostly suck.

4. I, on occasion, can be bullied off a huge pot. This mistake hurts like hell, when I see some clown take down a pot with a hand smaller than what I had.

well there's only one way to get past this problem. Bite the bullet and "call when the pot is big."

al