Thread: Must-Read Books
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Must-Read Books

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limit Holdem by Ciaffone and Briar is a good sourcebook for example hands.. some of their advice is controversial..

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's why I haven't gotten it. I don't want to read a book that's going to give me a weak-tight mentality.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not going to give you a weak tight mentality. It's a very solid book, and both sides in that controversy made good points. IMHO, I tend to side with Ciaffone/Brier.

If you are in a game with, tough, very agressive, and extremely tricky opponents, then perhaps the book might be weak tight but in any other game the advice is sensible. But a real poker pro, wouldn't play in such a tough game, since it's not profitable.

C+B point out that alot of people lose extra needless money, by not avoiding trouble. Staying in with overcards, making fancy moves in multiway pots, playing possibly dead draws in agressively raised pots etc. Save me the fiery responses of uttering heresey in the 2+2 forum, that all these things are OK in big pots.

And the really deep truth of it, is that no poker book contains any really amazing secrets in it. So don't worry too much about it.

Bygmesterf