View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 01:30 PM

Default I know I over bet.. advice appreciated

I played the 2/5 blind NLHE at Binions this weekend with good success. Mostly I was never called! LOL. I think people recognized that I was tight and when I had something and bet (usually 20-25 depending on the pot size), I would get no callers. Therefore, I know I'm not really getting value for my hands; but up to this point, I've only played NLHE in tourney's where you want to take the pot right away. So, I'd like to outline a couple pots where I had big hands and I know I overbet and see when people have to say. TIA

AA pot:
I'm in set 2, BB is seat 7.
Seat 8 brings it in for a 3x raise of 15 (not much of a read on the guy--over 500 in front of him; I pretty much just sat down at this table after a table change).
Seat 9 flat calls (fairly solid player, played against him the previous day; for him to call, I put him on a big Ace, since no reraise; he was short stacked at about 100).
Seat 10 and seat 1 fold to me, and I see AA. Still 5 to act. With the raise UTG and a call by a solid player, I'm hoping one of them will call a big raise.. but my tournament mentality kicked in and I went (almost) all-in for 300 (I had 320 at that point). Everyone folded, even the raiser and caller.
I obviously didn't get any value for the number one premuim hand and want to know what I could have made it to perhaps get HU with the pre-flop raiser (or do I need more info on his MO?).

99 hand:
One of the very few times there was actually no raise, I'm in late/mid position w/ 99 and there were already several limpers in.
Seat 1 I have witness slow play KK and AK and seems solid, so I didn't feel I could necessarily raise w/ the hand, but I definitely wanted to see a flop.
8 people to see the flop (amazingly high for that table).
Flop comes Q9x, two clubs (neither of my 99s was a club).
Another amazing thing, it got checked, all the way to me in late/mid position. Once again, my tournament thinking kicks in and that I want to end the pot, especially with a flush and straight draw (for anyone w/ JT) on the table, and I shove all-in. Of course, all fold. This one, I feel was a very dangerous flop and I really didn't mind ending it early and getting the 40 in the pot. However, I still wish to see what others feel about how I could have played it differently for a strong hand like 2nd set on the flop.

Thanks again,
Glenn