View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Why does this happen in online poker?

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm playing a game at party poker. I get dealt 44 and two others get 22, and JJ. The JJ limps so we all see the flop.

The flop comes out 4, 2, J giving all of us a set. The set of 2's bets out, the J's raises all in and I call. The JJ actually gets 4 of a kind of the river and takes the huge pot. I type: "That hand just seems impossible." Afterwards, I did some odds calculating. At a 10 handed table, the odds for 3 people to get dealt a pocket pair on the same hand is 1229 to 1. The odds of 3 people improving a pocket pair to a set on the flop of the same hand is 729 to 1. So, the odds of both of these things happening on the same hand is approx. 894,941 to 1. It just doesn't seem likely that even through a lifetime a playing poker, you would ever see this, but even if it happened once, I would be ok...everything happens at one time or another. It's just that these really improbably hands happen all the time it seems.

The guy who had the jacks said that earlier the same day, he was playing in a tournament in which him and another guy both got pocket kings and they were playing against a guy who had pocket Aces on the first hand. All 3 went all in....and the pocket K's with no K's left in the deck, outdrew the pockets A's and chopped the pot with a straight.

I've noticed that these just totally unlikely don't seem to happen nearly as much at other poker sites I've been to or in real life games, so is it something with party poker or is it just some coincidence? What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ive played over 500K hands online, and I've never seen it happen...

So chill.....