View Single Post
Old 04-25-2004, 01:35 AM

Default Re: I keep feeling that Big Pairs are a leak in my game.

Hi,

One of the first rules of NL you have to learn is that if you raise less then 1/10 of your stack and have a tendency to not let go of your big over pairs you will get stacked off *alot* by people calling for the implied odds of hitting big hands against you and getting paid off.

This is not to say always raise 1/10 of your stack. Just you can't assume anything about the hands that have called a raise when its less then 1/10th of your stack and less then 1/10 of their stack.

UTG+2 would call with a hand that beats you to try and get MP along for the ride. He knows he raised PF and might have a hand he's attached too also and you two would start a raising war.

This *is* .25BB so dont assume he didn't call that flop bet with a gutshot. Either way, you push in and you only get called by sets and str8's. So you will lose your stack everytime your beaten and just gain the pot when your ahead. So your turn all in only loses you money unless your opps get way to attached to the over pairs. It happens at the lower limits, but dont count on it.

This is why position is power. Its very hard to make your opp make a mistake from EP when you have the better hand and you always have to make the mistake of betting into the better hand or checking and giving them a free card to their draw.

I cringe when I get big hands in EP, its the hardest place to profit from them.

MarkV.