View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Jeffco/Gun control

When the news of Columbine first broke, they only reported (or I only heard) a "Denver high school." I got worried thinking it was maybe the inner city high school I attended there. After all, you could buy a gun or stolen stuff or drugs if you asked around a little. In the years after I graduated things got somewhat worse at that school due to a combination of things. Then I heard it was Columbine and I asked myself the proverbial WTF? I think what you say may have some truth to it, although generalizations are dangerous when discussing depraved individual conduct. Even after my high school got worse, you didn't hear about shootings or anything and the kids who go there are on average worse off than the kids in Jeffco at Columbine and have at least as much access to guns. So who knows. I don't think you can draw sweeping conclusions, but the spoiled brats theory crossed my mind a time or two. I don't think it has much of anything to do with gun control. Plenty of inner city kids and rural kids can get their hands on guns, but there aren't all that many school shootings. More than some people think I guess, but fewer than you would expect if simple availability of guns were the cause, which of course it isn't.