View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Beating the Party 10+1, Part 2

[ QUOTE ]
Most people would always bet the pot, but that's probably a lot of $. Just like pre-flop, you want to bet the minimum that will get them to fold. Most players will call any bet if they hit the flop, and fold to any if they didnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I think this is an EXCELLENT point that you never hear anyone mention. Why bet the size of the pot when you're pretty much trying to steal? A typical player during bubble plaly won't call a 1/2 pot sized bet but fold to a pot sized bet.

There are a lot of times where I'll have like AT or something on the button with 4 players left and the BB that called my PF raise will check to me when the board is 3 ragged undercards. Here I'll be tempted to bet the pot, but I usually stop myself and remind myself that the reason why I'm betting is to get my opponent to fold so I only need to bet the MINIMUM amount that will get this guy to lay it down, anything more and I have made a mistake.

I think pot sized bets are good when you have a strong hand and want to protect or get a loose call. But when you're trying to pick up a heads up raised pot on the flop with 4 or 5 people left and big blinds its usually not necessary, or wise.

What do others think about this? I think the whole "bet the pot" idea is pretty pervasive and I'd imagine a lot of people disagree with this approach.