View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Q for Eastbay

[ QUOTE ]

In a heads-up all-in-or-fold match, I think the right way to think about hand rankings is this:

From the SB, since you are first to act and have no knowledge of what the BB has, you should choose to push with the top X% of hands as ranked against a random hand. From the BB, if your opponent has pushed, you should choose to call with the top Y% of hands as ranked against the hands he would push with. (X and Y will vary depending on the size of the blinds relative to the stacks and your opponent's specific strategy.)

For example, if you know that your opponent pushes with the top 50% of hands (vs a random hand), then you should choose your calling hands according to how they rank against these. If you know he's too tight and only pushes with pairs, then you should rank your calling hands against pairs. And so on.

Does this make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought along the same lines, but I'm not convinced it makes sense.

If your opponent folds, he folds, and it doesn't matter what hand you held.

The only times it matters what cards you selected was when he calls. And when he does call, you want to be holding something which does well against his calling hands. His calling hands aren't random. Therefore, pushing against random hands doesn't make sense, I don't think.

eastbay