Thread: WPT Suggestion
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Re: WPT Suggestion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be a cool idea for a book to play through a tournament through the perspective of a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't "Positively Fifth Street" basically cover this?

[/ QUOTE ]

To some degree. However:

a) It really only discusses a handful of hands.

b) The book is about many other things than the author's run the WSOP.

and, most importantly:

c) McManus is not a poker expert. While he is obviously at least a decent player, he is not someone who has spent the majority of his life playing and thinking about poker.

I think what the above player is interested in is more like a hand report that covers every interesting hand in a multi-day tournament, with thought processes, from a top-flight tournament player (Cloutier, Helmuth, Lederer, Flack, Ivey, etc.).

I think the reason a top tournament player would choose *not* to do this is fairly obvious. The risks (someone, or rather many people, using this detailed thought process information against him) outweigh the rewards (selling books to, most likely, a fairly niche market of hard-core poker enthusiasts).

Financially, this might make more sense in this era of e-books, where they could make a PDF out of it and their publishing costs would be roughly nil, but if I were a top player, I'd think that was an awful lot of work to go to (while I could be playing, no less) to write a book that at least theoretically substantially decrease my EV.