Thread: NL Bankrolls?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: NL Bankrolls?

In the same way that I've heard people throw around 300 Big Bets as a "safe" bankroll in limit without doing real risk-analysis based on data, I've heard people throw around 10 buyins for 100 Big Blind buyin NL. I've never had a problem playing out of 10 buyins, but I'm pretty quick to drop back down in limits if I drop a few stacks. I also don't play anywhere near as well as AeonBlues does, so maybe my lower winrate comes with a lower standard deviation as some compensation for the fact that he makes a lot more money than I do...

If you are really just learning NL, there are cheaper ways to get your feet wet. UB has a 1c/2c blinds NL game with a $2.00 max buyin which can provide a very cheap training ground. It may seem silly playing for such a small amount of money, but the players don't play that much worse than the people playing for $25 do. I know putting in some hours in those games while learning NL taught me a lot and saved me a lot of money.

Read this forum, especially the archives, Ciaffone and Reubens, and TOP. Post hands that you're confused about, and look for similar hands in the archives--they are a wonderful resource.

Good luck and welcome to the forum(s)!

scrub