Old 03-20-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: QQ big stack battle at party

Hi muzungu,

[ QUOTE ]
Well, maybe not so much "battle" as "fleeing the scene screaming for mommy."

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "melting back into the jungle to wait for a better opportunity?"

[ QUOTE ]
So, I check, BB thinks a while and goes all-in for 20, UTG+1 min-raises to $40. And, being the weak-tight little girly-man that I am, I decide this isn't my spot and bail.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you made any mistake, and I'm not sure you did, given what you knew at the time, it was the pre-flop call and not the fold on the flop. Apparently you strongly suspected EP was on AA or KK -- I would too -- and decided to call with your QQ, playing for set value. That's not a terrible call to make on deep money, especially against a big stack who can double you up. You're risking $13 to win $500, and if you don't hit your set ... oh well.

As it turned out, EP had AK and not AA or KK. So okay, let's say you thought he'd only do that on AA, KK, or AK. That means 1/3 of the time he has you dominated, and 2/3 of the time it's a coin flip. You lose almost 2 out of 3 times, so not pushing pre-flop was (I think) clearly the correct decision.

The general rule for QQ is that, if there's no Ace or King on the flop, you play it as if you had AA or KK. But there is an exception to that rule, and that is if you suspect a player has AA or KK. You did, and played the hand for set value. You didn't spike your set, and decided to find a better situation to get your money in.

I don't think this was cowardice. I think it was smart.

Cris