Thread: Push?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Push?

Now that I've read the rest of the thread, a couple randowm thoughts:

1. Someone (I think it was hockey) said that "the all-in will fold all non-pair hands except AK". I really don't think this is true. If I were UTG I would call 4-handed against an aggressive player with AQ, AJ, and possibly KQ. You did say they were weak tight, so maybe you can take out a couple of those, but I can't imagine he would fold AQ 4-handed here.

2. I would play 99 and AK exactly the same here. They are both coinflips against alot of good hands. If he does call with AQ, AJ, and KQ, AK and he will fold low pairs (say 5's one down), AK has a much better chance of being way ahead (dominates 36 hands, where 99 is an overpair to 18 hands). Similarly, AK be a big dog much more rarely than 99, since it is only behind 8 hands (4 ways to make AA and KK since an A and a K are already accounted for). In any case, they are both strong hands 4-handed and I'd often put a shortstack all-in with either of them.

3. The fact that the players on this table had been min-raising alot changes the complexion of the question entirely, and makes your all-in a much better move (if this player really was doing it alot, I would go all-in here without a second thought). I agree with Mantis that constant min-raising does not fit my description of 'weak tight'. I would call it 'aggressive-tricky'. If they had been very tight when someone else raised, I'd make a seperate note about that. Many good tournament players, in fact are simultaneously quite aggressive when entering a pot first and extrememly tight when there has been a raise before them.