View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Re: 20-40...Would You Ever Check This River?

AJo Go all in NAILed it.

after reading your post i was wondering why it didn't stop after the 2nd sentance...3 limpers jto, fold! end of story...but there was more so i had to read on.

flop check is close...reasons to check: maximize pot odds on draw assuming button bets all call, also option to c-r buttons bet and gaggle of callers, or take a freebee to hit if he checks.

reasons to bet: disguise your hand if you make it. get button to HELP you eliminate other players so your j or t can win without the straight (its like raising KdQd on Td7h3d flop...although you can just call to maximize pot odds youd like to win if your k or q hits too and best way to do that is raise and limit field.)

that being said its a close call so check is good because it also allows you the option to checkraise if its bet and called around, which can be pretty valuable.

turn plays itself. sounds like bb had q9 or some junk he wanted to c-r the button with on the flop. or he could just have just the queen but then why call a 40 reraise back...who knows? q8 is definately possible along with 98 for same reason as above (wanted to c-r button on flop).

river pairs board, dangerous but i think still worth a bet and a call if popped back. you got a 'confused' button who'll likely call your bet, maybe not the raise but at least his dead $$ will be there.

so...fold preflop!! at least i would no question, and i know others would agree here.

no fold, ok. close call but good check on flop.

turn plays itself.

bet river and call one back.

-Barron