View Single Post
Old 02-29-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Flop Boat...Trap or Push in?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I see the point in trapping. A Queen is going to call you when you push in so why let him hit his kicker on the turn for cheap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this point really matters since he and someone who has a queen are probably getting it all in the middle no matter what. The person with a queen isn't in there thinking, "let's keep this pot small, i need to hit my boat", and even if he was, I say, who cares, you can bet relatively small, he doesn' thave many outs.

danny

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're wrong about the money going in no matter what. I wasn't saying that the Queen was going to try to make a cheap boat but I think it's better to get the money in right away when you're almost certainly a huge favorite. I don't want to say that a player should live in fear of his underfull getting beaten but I still think the point is valid. Make him put everything in while he's still a dog. It doesn't matter if the next card is going to hit his kicker or make someone else a batter boat; you're the favorite at the moment and that's the time to get your money in. Once you're beaten, every penny you put in is a mistake (assuming you aren't still the money favorite despite having a worse hand). A big raise would almost surely have gotten rid of 33 in this case and if it didn't, 33 would have been making a very large mistake in calling which is OK, too. A nice raise will either run out the freak beats that are waiting to hit you or increase your long-term profit by making the dogs put their money in against your big hand.

SpaceAce