View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Clearing Stars Bonus with SnG\'s + other considerations

A couple things:

Since the 5 + .5 SnG's pay three FPP's you can earn more of them for every dollar you put at risk:

200 x $5+.5 = 1100 spent and you get 600 FPP's
120 x $10 + 1 = 1320 to get 600 FPP's

Of course it takes significantly longer to play 200 SnG's, but if reducing your risk is your goal this is a way to go. Also, conceivably the $5 tourneys will be more beatable than the $10 ones, though I'm guessing the difference is not too great.

2nd Thing: as compared to Party, Stars SnG's require more skill to win: you get more chips and the blinds go up more slowly. This should be viewed as a good thing. One downside, however, which mitigates the value of this is that the Stars SnG's often last much longer than those on Party--rarely does a Party SnG last more than an hour. Stars SnG's, especially ones other than NLHE, can last 90 minutes or more, especially if the opposition is decent. This is enough of a downside for me that I generally play on Party because I can play almost twice as many. However, when there is a bonus at Stars, which in effect makes it so you are paying no vig on your tourneys, that's enough to tip the balance to playing at Stars. This is a great bonus for SnG players. If only UB allowed SnG's for bonus clearance (you get UB points for playing, but they don't work off the bonus $$$)