View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 03:28 AM

Default Re: The Seductive Brutalities of Poker

Hi, Andy --

Thanks for pointing out the source of that quote. I'm not sure what other things I might have said while David Hayano was interviewing me. I'm sure I was illustrating some point or just having a strange moment. The quote clearly doesn't express my teachings today.

I did experiment with many different kinds of images back then, though, to see which was the most profitable. I had acts that ranged from deranged, constantly angry and grumbling, stone-faced and unspeaking, giggling whether I won or lost, cackling (which Doyle describes in his book), polite and professional, and more.

About eight years ago, I wrote a column about this type of experimentation. However, I long, long ago decided that the most-profitable image for me was unpredictable-but-fun-and-friendly. That's also sometimes called the "wild image."

It's not for everyone -- especially for those who are more comfortable basing their profits on solid card analysis against world class players and who feel uncomfortable on the stage. It's best used to manipulate players who are having fun. However, all opponents are susceptible to it to some degree.

Not only do I not react unhappily to bad beats or to whole losing sessions, I've come to genuinely not be concerned by these events. I simply don't feel them -- and I'm guininely happy, no matter what happens. I can sense your skepticism, but it's the truth.

The only thing that disturbs me at poker today are times when I strongly suspect I'm being cheated, but can't quite prove it. My greatest weakness is that even today I find it difficult to leave a game when that happens. I believe that by playing honestly, the game should belong to me and other ethical opponents -- not to the cheaters. It's a strange, emotional flaw in my character -- not wanting to let the bad guys run me off. I'm sure they're grateful.

Fortunately, I find myself in many fewer dangerous spots today, and I've learned to actually walk away from games where I'm not quite comfortable.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yeah -- thanks for posting the source of the quote, Andy. Sorry if I got off-track and started babbling.

Straight Flushes,

Mike Caro