Thread: how to read 2+2
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Re: how to read 2+2

For what it's worth, I take the same approach to 2+2 as i did in my college literature classes. I'll use TOP as an example.

I first read the book cover-to-cover for entertainment value, not worrying too much about grasping the information. (And, yes, I did find TOP entertaining, despite most reviews).

I then read it again, much more carefully, cover-to-cover, stopping to re-read paragraphs or small sections that baffle me a bit.

Then I go back and read the sections -- such as Bluffing and Game Theory -- that I still couldn't quite grasp on the first two reads. If I still don't get it, I put it down for a couple days/weeks/months and read the section again after a lot of play.

This is a bit tedious, but can be done in your spare time.

The first read is key. If you're like me, you'll amaze yourself at how much you retain from that breezy initial effort. My mind works better when I'm not overly concerned about what I learn.

If you have the time, I'd even recommend reading other books -- esp. non-poker books -- during the time between reads. It keeps my mind fresh.

Hope this helps.

P.S., I think the advice about turning the stereo off is strange. I find that the most strenuous mental activity is actually aided by some background noise. I do, however, agree with killing the TV.