View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 03:54 AM

Default Re: I could use a little help from the big guns.

Of the big guns, I'm the 15c water pistol that breaks after an hour.

First, study statistics, if you haven't yet. Calculate the margin of error on your current win rate. That should give you a good idea of how much variance there is in this game. A winning player after 3000 hands can easily be just lucky. Keep good records of your play!

JTrout mentioned posting a hand now and then; this is a great idea. Put just one hand in a post, once a week or so. Spend some time reviewing hands where you lost a lot. Studying strategy isn't sufficient; you might know all the rules, but understanding is much harder to come by. It's easier if you study, play, and then re-study.

Poker is also extremely deep. I'm just starting to pick up on other players' habits, and I've been playing for nine months. (Others here are faster than me, of course; I've only been playing seriously for a couple weeks.) There are a lot of intricate correlations that will start to make sense once you get used to the simpler stuff.

Also, to me, disorganized writing indicates disorganized thought. Don't treat your poker knowledge as a giant list of rules; try to integrate them together. Make your poker knowledge 'simpler' (by finding ways to make connections between similar rules) and it becomes much easier to understand. But, again, this is an iterative process, and it requires serious effort. Winning poker isn't easy.