View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 11:19 AM

Default Re: is there a such thing as an unlucky person???

This game can be very cruel. We all go through stretches where the cards appear to prove the math "wrong". It's not fun. For some of us it's torture.

As much as I understand your desire to move up in limits hoping to play against "real" players, I'd advise you learn to deal with the wrath of the poker gods while you're still at low limits. How are you going to feel when these stretches (and you'll get these stretches at higher limits to) cost you $2000 instead of $300? (I don't know the extent of your streak - just trying to make a point.)

If this painful stretch of rotten luck is unbearable, I would seriously consider finding another hobby or part time job or whatever poker is in your life. Or at least take a break. It's very possible that you've been pummeled so much lately that you're afraid to play some of your hands correctly (ie raise) and are partially repsonsible for your own bad luck. It's not hard to get gunshy when the cards don't cooperate.

[ QUOTE ]
But i do know that on one occassion i remember losing AA to an A9 off.

I also remember losing with jacks 3 times in one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny how we can only seem to remember the awful beats. Even we "better" players have our share of nonsense luck, but we choose to implant the beats into our memory banks. Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are playing correctly, the cards will turn around and you'll have a monster winning session. Dwell on THAT session to help boost your confidence, forget all the times when you get tough beats. It's hard, but maybe you can look at those hands like they're a deposit for the future; "I lost $10 on that beat, but next time I get in this spot I'm gonna win $30."

Have you read "The TAO of Poker" or the poker "Zen" (forget the actual title) book? I just finished the TAO book and it's full of juicy little nuggets to help remind ourselves that "THIS" hand has no real meaning other than it contributes to the lifelong poker session.

Remember that poker success is about making good decisions on EVERY action; it's not about dragging every pot we "deserve". If you are making correct decisions the "luck" will turn around in the long run. Review you plays and make sure that you are making the correct decisions. If you are, keep at it. If you find that you are making some mistakes, work on fixing the leaks.

Again, if you can't deal with the concept of poker being a "long run" game, then stop fighting it. It's not worth the grief.