View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 01:32 AM

Default Re: What\'s your river action?

At first this seems like an obvious raise, and that was my response to the poll, but the more I think about this situation the more complicated it gets. The turn/river action looks an awful lot like sb may have missed a cr attempt, but even if thats the case it doesn't automatically mean he has a full house. In fact, since he didn't bet or checkraise the flop you can probably discount aj, j9, or a flopped set (I'm making the possibly invalid assumption that he wouldn't slowplay two pair or a set on a flop with so many possible draws). KJ is a possible hand but so is any other jack if the failed checkraise read is correct. Alternatively, is it possible that his bet is a desperation bluff after missing his heart draw? Also, what the heck is OK player calling with here. One very strong possibility it seems to me is that he also holds the Q 10, though some random pair is probably more likely. If all he has is a pair, how likely is he to pay off the raise? Same question applies to the sb, is he automatically paying off your raise? If he's on some moronic bluff then no, with trips yes, but on pairs it could be questionable. With a full house he is almost garaunteed to reraise and you'll be forced to pay off. All told, estimating the EV of this raise seems to be very complicated and in any case I think its probably close. My gut says go with the raise though. Sorry for the longwinded response, and if anybody thinks that what I've said is way off please let me know. I've only been playing about 6 months and have never played higher than 3/6 so I'm sure theres a lot I'm not taking into account.