View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Basic 08 situation I\'m unclear on: top trips

First off, don't always call with 4 cards T+. Especially with JJTT. The problem being that even if you hit your set, there are plenty of overcards that can hurt you, given that lots of people like to play KK or even QQ. If the overcard doesn't come, then a low card almost certainly will, and you're then playing for only half the pot! Even double-suited, JJTT is marginally a +EV hand, at least according to Bill Boston's sims.

That aside, given your position and the number of limpers (I'm assuming it's a relatively passive game), I think your TTJJ call here was probably okay. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's a reasonable enough hand, and you should be able to get away from it if you don't hit. The number of limpers also would seem to indicate that they're probably holding low cards, so your chances of seeing a high flop have gone up a bit.

I think you need to bet here when it's checked to you. Yes, you need to make the low draws and flush draws pay to beat you. You may also get to take a free card in case one of the draws gets there on the turn. (Doubtful, but some players love to check-raise when they get the nuts as opposed to betting out.) If the flush card does hit, and there are a number of callers, and you don't fill up, then you'll probably have to fold the river. In Omaha, unlike Hold'em, trips is very much a drawing hand, and you usually need to fill up in order to pound away on the turn or river.