View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Mixing up one\'s raises

3/6 Hole'em B&M

The table I'm playing is tight/passive and while I've been gettting some decent cards I haven't been able to get much action. It comes to a head when I'm dealt pocket Kings UTG+1 and I raise. The entire table folds including the two blinds. Now, I'm not sure what my table image is but I do have the biggest stack of chips in front of me (so I've been getting some action) but haven't seen anything close to pocket Ks for awhile. I'm a little irritated so now UTG I'm dealt Js6s. What the hey, I figure, maybe I can steal the blinds again. I raise and get several callers. Long story short, I take down a fair sized pot with a rare (for me) flush.

"Nice raise," says a guy opposite, dripping with sarcasm. "Perfect timing" I say.

One orbit later I'm in the BB and am dealt pocket aces. Characteristically, the entire table folds to the small blind, a icy Asian woman who makes bad decisions pf. She completes and I check my option. The flop comes KK10 and iAw bets and I call. I put her on a K and figure I'm behind. The turn is a blank and iAw bets and I call. I fill up on the river with an ace. The iAw bets, I raise and she calls. She is really angry when I turn over my pocket aces. "I don't understand how you raise at all," she says slaming down her cards (she had a K). "You raise J6 suited but not pocket aces."

I found myself getting a little defensive. "Just trying to keep you one your toes," I said.

My question: Was I wrong to raise with Js6s UTG at a tight table? The result was positive, both in winning the pot and confusing my opponents. It's not something I do regularly but sometimes I want to try some stuff on the tighties just to see if I can. I sometimes raise suited connectors and J10 unsuited just to see if I can get the lethargy out. I get away from them quick if nothing materiaizes. I tend to do better against tight tables than loose ones because of my willingness to try stuff. Any other suggestions on what to try?