View Single Post
Old 01-14-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Hold\'em and friendly chat

You have to go with what you are comfortable with as far as the talking goes. I am sometimes quiet, but much of the time, especially with women at the table I talk and also add info about why I am betting......it is all smokescreen, but I love to say things like "well, I need to get you out of the pot, so I'll bet a little" when I really want a call and so forth, this can be very beneficial. If you can say these things and get away with them for a while, you can develope a trust with the players. Then when you have a hand that you know is a winner - on the river - and it looks like no one will call- that's when to give them the "I've got the nuts, but I better bet something". If they call you down, great, if they fold - you show your hand. This works great for me for an hour or even longer sometimes, and if they trust you because you are a nice guy - man, can you manipulate them. As for knowing how to play, boy, I am as dumb as a brick as far as the other players know - I've never read a book, blame everything on luck etc..........I've had players actually be happy when I drag a pot. They don't mind losing to a nice (dumb) guy.