View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Baseball Hall of Fame Election

My guess is Rose never gets in. First, Selig would have to make him eligible. Selig is weak, so who knows. Then he'd have to be voted in. It looks like many people would not vote against him who might have voted for him previously. Rose is now on a publicity campaign (Prime Time on ABC tonight, Good Morning American tomorrow morning) which will probably work against him, given his usually pugnacious personality and demeanor. The old-timers committee will never vote him in. Usually it takes a friend on the committee to twist some arms (Rizzuto got in when Berra was on the committee; Doerr when Williams was a member). I can't imagine Johnny Bench pulling for Rose. Morgan was in favor of letting Pete in before, I haven't heard what his thinking is now.

And now that the cat's out of the bag, who knows if it will come out that he actually bet against the Reds at one time. I see where Todd Benzinger, who had worshipped Rose at one time, said it wouldn't surprise him. Note that Pete Gammons says he now feels Rose never loved baseball, he only loved himself.