View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Baseball Hall of Fame Election

Congratulations to Eck and Molitor. Both were clearly deserving. The person happiest about Molitor's election, other than Molitor, is probably Edgar Martinez, because if Molitor can make it as (primarily) a DH, Edgar Martinez (who has been almost exclusively a DH) has got to be a lock for the HOF someday--he's a far better hitter than Molitor, and now there is a precedent for a DH being elected.

Other thoughts:

1. I can't believe Ryne Sandberg hasn't been elected. He did see a big jump in his vote totals this year, so I suspect he'll get in at some point.

2. It looks like Jim Rice is never going to make it. He's a borderline candidate that I had hoped would make it, but the best portion of his career was just a little too short. If he had had one or two more good years, I think he'd be in.

3. The three people who voted for Jim Eisenreich should have their voting priviliges permanently revoked. This guy was slightly better than average; he's not even close to Hall of Fame caliber, and I can't imagine what those 3 voters were thinking. It's admirable that he overcame his illness to become a solid major league player, but that doesn't make you a Hall of Famer.

4. Pete Rose is duplicitous pond scum, and I hope he NEVER is allowed back in baseball. If Selig does the expected and does let him back in, I hope the writers do not vote him into the HOF. He broke baseball's cardinal rule, he knew the consequence was a lifetime ban, he voluntarily accepted the lifetime ban, and then he lied for 14 years. The man is not contrite in the slightest; why should anyone feel sorry for him?