View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 12:41 PM

Default Re: A3 Suited on Botton...Opinions needed

Ropey,
I am actually rethinking the way I have generally played Axs. I also played primarily for the flush and considered any additional outs as just a bonus. However, this thread has got me thinking and I'll share some of those thoughts in response to your 3 summary points.

[ QUOTE ]
1. If there is a bet to you besides the 1 in 10 times you flop your flush draw (which you will still only make 1/3 of the time) you must fold, as you clearly don't have the best hand. <font color="blue"> Against a large field, I think you are correct in that you will probably have to toss your hand to any significant action, but shorthanded an ace on the flop is likely to be good in an unraised pot. So you can play Axs for the flush in a multiway pot, and for the flush and Ace in a shorthanded pot. </font>

2. If it is checked to you, whether you pair your ace is irrelevant, you will likely be able to steal the pot with any two cards. If you are called by either limper, than your hand is probably no good anyway, even with your ace. A limper without an ace will usually fold when an Ace flops.
<font color="blue"> I don't think this is entirely true. Suppose the flop comes rags with one suit of your hand and the pot is shorthanded. I would be more inclined to semibluff with Axs figuring I had 4 outs if I was called. (3 aces and 1 for the backdoor potential) With small suited connectors I don't think that many steal attempts could be considered a semibluff since you will rarely have any legit outs. </font>

3. 4 6 is easy to get rid of, and will pay you off more when it hits than your lone pair of aces.
<font color="blue"> When playing Axs in a shorthanded pot, I don't think you are worried about getting paid off. You just want to take the pot right there, since your flush draw did not come in. Given that you might catch some secondary outs that you can semibluff with, or an Ace on the flop that has a good chance of being good (remember we're shorthanded) then I think his hand has some merit in being played for slightly more than the flush draw alone, in an uraised pot.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]