View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 05:26 AM

Default Re: How many hands Preflop

"How many hands do you play, % wise, b4 the flop? This would include the blinds. I remember Steve Badger saying that this should be less than a holdem %, but I can't seem to get anywhere near that."

Big Dave - Badger does advocate playing fewer Omaha-8 hands than Texas hold 'em hands, but other authorities (notably David Sklansky) disagree, as I recall. I don't know what % you're optimally supposed to play in Texas hold 'em. Doesn't it kind of depend on the game conditions?

Regarding Omaha-8, I have no idea. I gradually have settled upon playing about one hand per round, exclusive of the blinds, but sometimes I'll play more than that and other times less, depending more or less on the skill and/or toughness of my opponents. I have trouble doing well against some opponents and tend to do better against others, and when I'm having a tough time, I tend to tighten up. The people at the table gradually change and sometimes when I'm up against a tough mix for me, I just bide my time. then when I feel on top of things I play more hands. In any event, I tend to play more hands from late position and fewer from early and mid position.

I realize the above is vague. Ed Hutchison has some excellent starting hand guidelines on his web site if you're just a beginner. He's quick to admit that his guidelines are not meant to be rigid and hands played are variable, depending on your opponents and some other factors. And there are some posts in the archives regarding starting hands.

Around 14% or 15% is maybe a viable number for a normal, full table game, but it depends on your style of play, your opponents, and some other stuff.

I like Iceman's reply here (but not his appendage to his reply).

Just my opinion.

Buzz