View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 02:54 AM

Default Re: what is being over-looked. why it\'s not that simple.

You're talking about a situation where you know exactly what your opponents have. This doesn't come up all that often. And you only "know" 3 of your opponents' 4 cards.

So your implied odds are close to the correct 23.5:1. That's still long odds and I still say those who keep calling cold to draw to long odds end up with short bankrolls, even if they're getting close to the best of it or even a bit of the best of it.

And many times all that flop action ends up check-check on the turn. The trips hand gets cute and figure the other guy will certainly bet his big pair and the big pair says wait a minute he's trapping me, I don't have to worry about an overcard because I have aces and there go your implied odds out the window. Or the aces get wise and belatedly figure out that his opponent may indeed have trips. Or the flop action is just so much posturing. Not that I'm questioning your reads here, just that it's not always a cinch that you're going to have them put oodles of money into the pot when you spike.