View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 09:27 PM

Default Re: \"A Pair of Fours\" Again

I don't buy that his has any value than the one bet it picks up. I'd attribute his play to random betting, no skill involved. And if he told me he value bet it cause he knew I would call with Ace high and would call. I would tell him to talk to my World Series bracelet. Oh wait, I don't have one, but that reminds me...I need to pick one up this year for these occassions. I hear 2-7 triple draw only gets 30 entries. How hard could it be?

95% of the time this bet is made, it will be made by a player worse than me, so what do I care? Even if you felt, wow he really owned me there...so what? Is it gonna make me play worse - probably not significantly.

I don't think it's particularly a good value bet either.

Am I right? Who knows, it's sort've like the SAT, you take the test and they give you the score later. But, they don't tell you which ones you got wrong. You just get a letter in the mail or a pile of bills at the end of the year and compare them to your friends to see how you did.

Unfortunately, if you are looking for truth in poker, your pile of bills doesn't matter much either, since how good players fare monetarily is mainly dependent on decisions not made at the actual table. For some reasons, these facts have hugely soured me from the theoretical aspects of poker. I used to pine over all my decisions worry about a mistake here or there, now I just play six games online and try to get laid and I seem to be doing ok in at least one category. For more stream of consciousness check out Faulkner or Joyce, I'm not sure which one, but one of them has a famous stream of consciousness book I hear but I never read it.