View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 12:16 AM

Default Re: \"A Pair of Fours\" Again

Mason,

I loved the plays. I agree with your preflop call with pocket 4's in late position. Calling the raise is, of course, a must.

The flop call with close to pot odds (19:1), but it's compensated with implied odds. I absolutely agree that because your pocket 4 contains a diamond you didn't have to worry about someone making a flush at the same time you make your set. Often times I make a loose call on the flop to see if I can catch something (maybe too much in my game).

Lastly the turn bet was brilliant. I personally wouldn't have thought that my hand was the best, but since you did have position and the button didn't raise the flop, you certainly had good reason to believe your hand was good enough to hold up and you should be knocking out draws. There's a good chance the river Q would have made someone's hand if you didn't bet.

Regarding the river, again I think it was a no-brainer. You are only going to be called (or worst case scenario, raised) by a better hand. There is no use betting for value here.

I liked your logic in this hand. I appreciate your incite as well.

Garland