View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 02:21 PM

Default O/8 flop raise -- good play or not?

Hi,

I'm a relatively new to Omaha. Last Thursday I was playing some O/8 in a 4-8 game with 1-2 blinds. The game was very passive with almost no pre-flop raising. Typically 6-8 would see the flop.

Here's the hand:

I am in the big blind ($2) with Ac Ad Tc 4h. 6 limpers to me, including the small blind. I check.

The flop comes As Js 9h ($13 pot). The small blind bets. I raise. The rest of the table folds. The small blind calls.

The turn comes 8s [As Js 9h] ($26 pot). The small blind bets $8. I fold.

My thought process during the hand:

Pre-flop - I'm glad I get to play my hand, but it's not strong enough for a raise (unless I could get it heads-up, which is very doubtful).

Flop - I like this flop. I put the SB on a flush draw. I raise to knock out junky hands that might backdoor a low or a straight, so I can scoop the pot if the SB has a flush draw with no low.

Turn - I'm not getting the pot odds to draw to my full house, so I fold.

My thought process after the hand:

Pre-flop - no change

Flop - Why did I put the SB so strongly on a flush draw? He could have had a set, a straight draw, or two pair, or nothing at all. Do I really want to chase out other flush draws or straight draws? I'm probably not going to scoop unless I hit my full house, so why not keep folks in to pay me off.

Turn - I'm getting about 4.2:1 on my call. With the $8 I'll get if I hit my full house, I am getting the pot odds to call.

Comments welcome,
PP

P.S. For what it's worth, the SB showed his hand -- Ks 2s 4x 8x -- and asked the dealer to deal the river, which was a 3.