View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: General stud theory question: Being raised in the first betting round

As with most things in poker it depends, however If I limp into a pot I would generally not throw my hand away to a completion bet although I might be taking the worst of it going into 4th street. To make this a profitable move then you must only limp in with middle pairs where the chances of improvement are the greatest and secondly where the chances of getting the improved hand paid off are maximised.

Hence I would never come in with a middle pair if one of my pair cards were dead, I am less inclinded to play split pairs than concealed pairs. In the case of split pairs I would be more will be inclined to limp if I have a relatively strong hole card i.e. one that is higher than most of the remaining players door cards. I tend to disregard secondary outs such as suited and connected kickers because generally you will need to get to 5th street before you have a genuine draw such as a four flush.

Secondly I am ready to give up the hand either on 4th or 5th street if I have not improved, an unimproved middle pair is not going to win a raised pot at the end so why carry on the more expensive rounds ?

Providing you can play them well they can be profitable hands but if you lack discipline they are potentially a huge leak and are best folded.

regards

Ross