View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: How much to buy in for in NLHE?

[ QUOTE ]
If you go all-in with your short stack (especially if you can't even make a pot sized bet) its easier to get called by the drawing hands because they know you can't make them pay more on the Turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
As has been discussed here many times before, this is symmetric. When you have a short stack and flop a draw, your opponents can't protect their hands against you, since they can't make you pay more on the turn.

What is not symmetric is that players who call a short stack's push or set a short stack in may get knocked out before showdown. For example, a short stack pushed preflop, someone called, and I reraised with QQ. The caller folded, and I was heads up against the short stack who had A9 and was a 2:1 underdog. Because of the dead money from the caller, he was getting paid more than 2:1, so he wasn't unhappy to have pushed. In another hand, I pushed from the BB with A9 and was called by two players, one of whom bluffed into a dry sidepot with ten-high so that I won unimproved.

[ QUOTE ]

Plus good players know that anyone who doesn't buy in for the max is typically weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Many people who buy in short are terrible, but buying in short does not force you to play badly. You can often outplay people substantially because they don't respect you and don't fear a short stack. That allows you to value bet effectively against some players while bluffing and semibluffing effectively against others.

Typical players do not have much experience playing against good players with short stacks, and hemmorhage equity against them.