View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: 3/6(6-max): 88 overpair on flop

[ QUOTE ]
flop raise is for a couple reasons. one is that if you dont raise him often, its hard to get paid later. two is that if you dont raise him often, he will continue bet often. three is that your hand is probably good, but it will be expensive if you jsut decide to call down, because a lot of turns suck (what if this guy has 78?).

[/ QUOTE ]

problem with a raise is normally if he calls or pushes I assume you fold? But then you've expended half your stack to "find where you are" and protect vs an unlikely (albeit possible) draw out.

I cant see him folding a better hand, either, so maybe he'll go broke with tptk or so, thin value in a raise.

Ideally, a flop raise is better w/ JT, A8, KK, 56, etc.

Normally, with stack sizes as related to potential pot size, (pf to flop) a general philosophy should be that a flop raise typically enables a big pot. As in, each person is typically 1+ big bet to being all in, (think pot raise pf,call, ~8+ in pot, pot/repot, 8->24, and suddenly each person has about pot = stack, or roughly... even if you dont pot, it works out that you rarely have enough to make a comfortable bet/fold w/ 2 streets to go) what this means is a flopraise should be either strong or weak. middle relative strength hands,(like 7x or 88 on this flop) its ok to raise if when called you canexpect to check it down, but against lags this normally isn't thecase.

So, if you feel your hand isgood enough, (like vs a maniac0 you want to be all in, by all means raise the flop. or, if you know you're beaten and a flop raise would show profit with most holdings, (huge nit, I guess) then it's ok for another reason.

But to me, neither fits the case,so I'd rather calland make mydecision w/ 1 streetto go, rather then creating a pot where my pot odds will force my hand.