View Single Post
Old 11-27-2003, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Whoah There, Nelly

[ QUOTE ]
Hi EastBay,
Well... much of what you say is true. And years ago at a teamwork get together for United Technologies (Circa 1994) I said that one ought to start at the bottom and work up to know the business inside and out. (Parallel to your soldier/general concept).

But, look at how it really goes (in business and even in the military). Shave @sses are at the top. That'd be academy grads in military and Harvard/Wharton/Yalies in Corp. USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe that, there's your answer right there. Get the degree.

[ QUOTE ]

In corp. USA actually many top dogs are Mckinsey Consulting or Boston Consulting alumni. Both of which, of course, recruit from the Ivy League set. Heck McKinsey even has a Web Page aimed at recruiting just Harvard grads!

So working up is (IMHO) patented working class dogma. And a waste of one's life in most cases. To bad so many of us are taught that idea by working class adults around us when we are kids.

The point of my para-phrases is to point out that I'm not interested in political methodologies and game playing. To me the whole point of becoming rich is to never have to be a subordinate to anyone else's game. So if wanting to maintain one's dignity along the way is a red flag, Oh well... guess I'm out of luck there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different people have different ideas about what constitutes maintenance of dignity. For some, pulling over for "the man" for a busted taillight is an insufferable indignity. I don't relate to that idea of "dignity."

I'm not saying you're at that end of the spectrum; just food for thought about what dignity is.

[ QUOTE ]

So essentially I threw those terms out to head off certain suggestions.

To me "teamwork" is a red flag. And truly false in corp. USA. After all salaries are not equal among team members nor are they adjusted on a team basis. Each paycheck is cut to an individual.

[/ QUOTE ]

And hopefully according to value of that individual.

[ QUOTE ]

"Teamwork" to me is something told to the underlings.

Realize I've spent most of my life in Fort. 500's and seen the fads come and go. Six Sigma to Matrix organizations, etc.

Personally mega-rich doesn't really interest me nearly so much as getting to my personal ideal of freedom, without compromises.

That ideal is, "An upper middle class lifestyle without having to work."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think that's nuts. Someone who doesn't work is a drain on a society and should be ashamed of themselves, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

In other words a self sustaining cash flow sufficient to live well, provide for your favorite lady and kids... and have time freedom to pursue your own interests unfettered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unrealistic, selfish pipe dream. You gotta give to get, or you're the one pulling a fast one. IMO.