View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Limp-Reraise with AA/KK in EP

This thread shows one of the possible difficulties of raising only 3-4x the BB with AA/KK in EP.

So, what's a better default play (assuming a passive-to-typical game with a mix of short stacks, medium stacks, and big stacks -- no exceptional players):

1) Raise to 6-8x the BB in EP, or
2) Go for the Limp-Reraise.

Right now, I feel that 2) is better than 1) for a few reasons:

a) If you're raising big in EP with monsters, you'll occasionally have to make similar sized raises with AK, QQ-77 (maybe all the way down to deuces), and some suited connectors. At the Commerce 400, where the blinds are so big and the players so bad, I really don't think this looks like a good plan. If I only raise with AA/KK, I'll eventually never get anyone to play. And if I add in the deception hands, I'll probably end up playing more hands OOP for big money than I should.

b) Many of the players are often shortstacked relative to a raise this size. Even if a player has $600 in chips to start a hand, a raise to to $70 makes the pot $150. I'm forced into two-street (or sometimes three-street) poker. If that's the case, the limp-reraise seems to be a better move. Both plays force a two-street hand, but the limp-reraise has the potential to take down a reasonable pot preflop or get all (or enough so that the flop is an easy push) the chips in preflop.