View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Definition of \"playing well after the flop\"?

Here's my take on it. I play crappy 90% of the time, and the other 10% consists of brief runs of inspired play. Of the 90%, I catch enough lucky cards that I maintain, and the other 10% gets me to a little better than breakeven. I think many people are this way, and I think the more you play, the larger the percentage of your play is correct.

As for specific post-flop play, I'll paraphrase Ed Miller in order to give my opinion on one specific item. He maintains that when in doubt (in small stakes games), it's usually better to assume that your opponent is loose rather than tight, thereby making a call or a raise preferable to folding in many situations with no reads, such as a new table.

Now, I suck in the worst way compared to this guy, but I've found that I do better early by waiting to hit a flop before I wade into a betting contest with an unknown. All things being equal, I'm not going to assume he has marginal holdings unless I get reads later on that allow me to take that position. In my brief experience, this has helped me save some bets.

(This does NOT apply nearly so well in short handed games. I'm speaking of full ring games, and you have to take position into consideration.)

I may (and probably will) change my mind on this down the road, but for now I think I'm right enough to make this position +EV.