View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Why did Jesus have to die?

[ QUOTE ]
Hebrews 10:4 says that it was impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. Therefore Jesus Christ, the Son of God came into the world to bear our sins. The punishment we deserve is inflicted on the perfect spotless Lamb of God. Our faith in this sacrifice of Christ is the basis of God's forgiveness.

If I steal $10,000 from someone and am brought before a judge, his job is to render justice. He cannot just release me and say "not guilty". Justice is not done. Someone is still out $10,000. Similarly, God cannot simply pardon sin without payment of the penalty. It was an act of supreme love for God to offer his son to save those who believe in him. It was an act of supreme justice to sacrifice the perfectly sinless, willing son of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're overlooking that the only reason something is a sin is because "god" says so. When some steals $10,000, yeah some is out of money and there is harm. When someone sins, it's only a sin because god says so, and god has not been harmed. (If God was harmed, he wouldn't be omnipotent, would he?) So, god merely has to stop saying it's a sin and there's no more sin.

Religious beliefs are illogical in basis. Now this is different than saying there is or is not god, IMO. All I am saying is that you can't use logic to arrive at a conclusion that god exist. You have to ignore logic to get there. If you have faith, that's fine, but your faith is illogical, and you need to stop trying to convince others that your faith is logical. It isn't. Faith is, by definition, believing in something without proof of its existence. It is the opposite of logic by definition.

Oh yes... I reserve a special amount of contempt for people who rest their arguments on the bible's text. Obviously, if some one wants logic, the bible is not the place to find it. It's self-serving and based on "faith", which is not logic.

Try and think of an argument that has logic, don't quote your preacher's (or your dad's) favorite passage. It demonstrates that you are completely without the ability to think for yourself. By the way, that's why Jesus is your "shepherd" and you are his "sheep." You just can't think for yourself.