View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: I guess 6 max limit really does have high variance....

I like to think that I do not tilt too much but in truth the times I do usually cost me and do turn a 50bb seesion loss into a 75bb one. You know how it is, you are focused, playing well but just getting run over by all the chasers. You just lose on the river again to a guy who had nothing on the flop but 2 under-cards and backdoor straight which he caught to bust your aces. You do not openly tilt but you tilt all the same. The next hand you have 89s UTG and limp when you should fold. It gets raised and you have to call. On the flop you hit middle pair and end up having to call 2 more to see the turn. Once the turn misses you and you are faced with 2 more cold for the river you finally give it up. You have just spent 3 more BB that had you folded pre-flop like you should have would not have been lost. Just think how many hands like this you will end up playing trying to make a recovery for the day, then you will realise why bad days often get a lot worse before they get better.

What I try and do if I am in a cold spell and taking a lot of beats is to actually tighten up and play less hands. There is no point going to war with the table if you are not hitting anything. Also never be afraid to leave a table a long way down. I used to hate leaving a table if I was stuck for a good chunk of my buy-in even if the table had got bad. I still hate it but am getting much better at it, cause for one a new table may have great cards just waiting for you, and even if it does not you concentrate so much on the play that you soon forget about the bad table you left behind.