View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Q9s, paired board

--blind response--

I typed this when I misread the action and took you for limping this hand utg. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I liked it, but it obviously has no bearing on your situation, so I whited it out.

<font color="white">you'll probably get a few calls to drop this pf, and I'd probably agree, but only just barely.

limping marginal hands when you have a read that the table likes to limp is usually just fine in a full ring game, but shorthanded a few mechanics get in the way of going overboard.

First off, there are only so many people that can limp behind you. if all but two limp shorthanded, you've only gotten 3-1 in your money, and you won't have immediate odds even if you do pick up your flush draw. In full ring, you'd get 7-1 if all but two folded, and that sets up a draw much better. Also, if you just pair that queen, you could be setting yourself up for spewing.

second, even passive shorthanded games are more aggressive than passive full ring - and that hand hates a pf raise.

third, very drawy hands benefit greatly from position. If you're closing the action or are one from the button, you can do things like pump your draws and take free cards. From ep you are at the mercy of the other players, and again are in danger of spewing if you half make your hand.

just me rambling there.</font>

I like the pf call given the passive table read and your position.

On the flop I think you're misapplying WA/WB here because you're up against multiple opponents. There's a link in this weeks digest to a mid hi discussion about the overuse of this line due to a general misunderstanding of it.

With three opponents you're up against six cards instead of two, and the prospects of staying way ahead of all of them are remote. You have to either drop this or make a move to thin the field. If you raise and get HU, you can consider going WA/WB, though that's purely dependant on the player who comes along and the read you have on him.

In all, calling is a bad play on the flop because of the potential gutshots, overcards to your 9, and ace high hands that would love to come along.

If BB is passive, I'd just drop on the flop because it will cost you at least 2.5 BB to show down a hand that could already be beaten by either him or UTG.

If BB is tricky or aggressive and UTG likes to call too much, then I raise for value (and isolation) and reevaluate on the turn.

The problem you'll have in these situations is that all too often people that call these kinds of flops like to showdown, and you can't overcall on the river with that hand UI.

When UTG drops on the turn, the rest of the hand plays itself.