View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Serenity: the movie

ok i watched it tonight.

novel score, they really mixed it up and it wasn't standard sci-fi
lighter elements worked and were well-paced
solid effects and fight scenes

the dialogue, however, was ridiculous.

"i neer felt anything twixt my nethers in 2 years"

"that's the best gorramn wave in the verse"

the first is easy to understand when you read it. the second is too, in context (gorramn is the 'new goddamn', wave means a broadcast, verse is the universe). generally the dialogue was ultra fast and hard to understand. subtitles right? right. but the subtitles on the dvd move around with the characters. it's supposed to help, but when you've got text on the bottom right of the screen and then it jumps to the top left it's difficult to track and generally takes away from the visualization of the movie (which is good and disappointing to miss).

now all of the dialogue doesn't need to be deeply understood, and the movie could be watched without any of that. some people will probably say it was fine too. it wasn't fine, and there are a million points in the movie where if subtitles weren't on i could ask you what was just said and you would not be able to repeat any of it.

i thought it was good, not great. i do look forward to watching it a second time since i soaked up all of the dialogue via annoying subtitles.