View Single Post
Old 11-26-2003, 05:58 AM

Default Check-raising HU as a bluff

I have played HE full ring games for 9 months or so and have developed into a steady winner.

Recently, I have started playing some tournaments and in the later stages now find myself frequently in the position where I am HU with one of the remaining opponents.

I had a thought yesterday (careful!).

I was HU against a player who did not bet enough at the pot in these situations and so was doomed to eventual extinction. The hand that triggered this thought was where he was SB, I was BB, blinds were big and we were on the bubble.

A K high ragged flop came and he checked. If he had bet, I would have had to fold and give him the pot with my 2 undercards. In fact I bet and he folded.

He was almost certainly wrong not to bet into that flop against a random BB.

Now if this guy HAD bet I would have folded because he NEVER takes a shot at a pot. However, what if he was a player who DOES take shots? Is a raise a possibility by me on random cards? Is this sensible HU play?

Reversing the situation. Let's say I raise from the SB (you never know he might fold) but the BB calls. Given the same ragged flop, I could bet at it, but, another possibility is to check raise with garbage if the BB is a player who WILL take a shot.

Are these realistic possibilities for HU play or just wild gambles.

Cheers

Trevor