View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Whoah There, Nelly

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Eastbay,
I'd say I'm facing the unpleasant reality. That the table has been tilted by the rich for the rich. Mainly by the families that got big during the early industrial revolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, whenever I suggest that just maybe the game is rigged and that there must be a better way, everyones feathers seem to get ruffled and lots of defenses of capitalism... often laced somehow with the idea that "democracy = capitalism" ... seem to emerge.

Yet, as I see it, any thinking person who's worked hard most of thier life and still stuck in middle-classdom or worse can easily see that the BS we've been fed most of our lives is just that BS.

Recent Wall Street debacles should serve to illustrate the point nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be mega-rich too. Obviously.

But show me one fast way to do that, that at the same time doesn't involve cheating, game playing, @ss kissing, doesn't suck etc. and doesn't involve luck. I.E. you can plan on it working.

Sincerely,
AA

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mega-rich, FWIW.

I never defended capitalism in my posts, although I think facets of it are defensible as long as there are tempering factors in a socio-economic system. Capitalism as religion or value system seems clearly disastrous to me.

I don't have any easy answers for you, although I consider your "doesn't suck" and "I won't kiss ass" (para-)phrases as red flags.

* Don't work hard, work smart
* Significant results in most any endeavor require teamwork and teamwork requires being a soldier before being the general, by analogy. This isn't necessarily "ass kissing".
* Nothing worth having in this world doesn't require a lot of hard work, which often sucks when viewed in the small. Keeping eyes on the large can temper the suckiness of it all.

Trying to get mega-rich is a good way to stay broke. Try to get a little more than you've got now, if you can find legitimate reasons to need it. You quite possibly don't need it, btw.

That's all my philosophizin' I've got in me right now. Good luck with everything.