View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: first hour of a tourney -- how many hands

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with several of the other posters that this is probably a bit tight. Your implied odds can be really big on early calls, 10-1, 15-1 or more, so it pays to see some flops. That's the easy part. The hard part is knowing when the flop only hits you partially and your hand is second best and you have to get away from it.

One thing I do is keep an eye on the player statistics, which tells me how many hands I'm playing. Obviously we all go pretty card dead from time to time and this percentage can get down pretty low, like 5% or less.

I know I'm looking for this in other players, and I have to assume they're watching it with me as well.

If this happens and I'm not showing any action, then I'm really worried about not getting paid if I catch a nice hand like Aces or Kings or a flopped set. In these situations, which are not infrequent, I will splash around a bit, maybe raising with JTs UTG or something like that.

This is a kind of "safe" hand that plays ok multiway if I get lots of callers but no reraises. It is also easy to get away from if someone comes way over the top, or if the flop completely misses me. But by getting in a raise with a hand that would usually be folded, you are sending out a beacon to the rest of the table ... like hey, I'm here, I'm not just waiting for the nuts.