View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: first hour of a tourney -- how many hands

In the first hour I play a TAG game. Tight-aggressive doesn't mean that you are folding everything. You definitely need to play a few more hands than you currently are during the first hour in an attempt to build a little bit of a stack to carry you through the rest of the tournament.

I vary my play based on the table I'm seated at. It's important to be able to gauge if the players you are seated with are tight or loose, passive or aggressive. Based on this information I'll mix up my play accordingly. As an example, I normally wouldn't limp small-medium pairs up front or in early middle position, however if the table is extremely loose and passive with a lot of players limping and seeing lots of flops I'll limp this hand, even in an "earlier" position, hoping that the passive nature of the table will hold true. If it's raised behind me and there aren't any callers going to the flop I'll abandon my whopping single BB and move on to the next hand. If there are a few callers heading to the flop, it's relatively cheap for me to call and I stand a chance to take down a huge pot by spiking a set I'll stick around. There are a lot of hands that can be played in this same manner; however going beyond this you also need to be able to judge when to keep playing postflop and when to fold. Try to play hands appropriate for the position you are playing out of and the table you are seated at.

Another thing to consider when playing as tight as you are is that observant opponents will see that you are hardly playing any hands. You need to give action to get it. If you aren't mixing it up at all you are not very likely to get paid off when you finally do get that monster. Smart players will know that your preflop raise means you have a hand and they will get out of the way just as they did when you picked up wired pairs and everyone folded to your raises. I also think that showing these two hands was a mistake. Players should already suspect that you are playing tight because you haven't mixed it up very much. Don't show them that they are right - let them keep guessing as to what hands you are raising with. By showing them that your preflop raise is a monster they are less likely to get involved in some pots with you and you won't have the opportunity to win their chips. You would be better off raising with trash on the button to steal the blinds and showing THAT hand so that your next raise gets someone to play back at you when you're holding a monster. I'm not advocating this move, but I think it would get you more action than showing the two wired pairs that you did. All that did was validate the other player's thoughts about you and let them know your preflop raise means something and they shouldn't play with you without a premium hand.

Basically you need to experiment with these concepts a bit. Figure out which starting hands you want to see a flop with against a lot of opponents and which you want to limit your opposition with. You definitely need to mix it up and get involved in a few more pots than you currently are. This appears to be what's preventing you from building a stack early which will help you to make it through the middle stages of the tournament.

Just don't take this too far and get involved in every pot. There's a good middle ground here for you to find.