View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: ($16) AK from the BB

You really should be raising this out of the BB. Don't say "I don't want to play AK OOP." Raise it bigger than you normally would, because you almost certainly have the best hand, but you need to charge your opponent for the privilege of having position on you for the rest of the hand. Make him seriously consider if it's worth it or not.

If he limp/calls with Ax it'll be EASIER to stack him on an ace high flop than when you check. He got involved to hit his ace...so you really think he's going anywhere if you put pressure on him? Nope, he's gladly getting stacked when he pairs his ace - that's why he's involved in the first place. If you pop it to like t75 preflop, you can lead for the pot on the flop, and if he calls there's a pot of t450 on the turn. There you could do something fun like overbet push and force him to make a big mistake.

I go either way on calling the river..probably call since you're getting such good odds. He probably has a big hand (flush is most likely, but maybe he flopped a straight), or crap like a K9 or a small PP. There's no reason for him to bet a marginal hand on the river. Any hand that could win at showdown is going to take it cheap, unless it's quite strong and looking for a VB. Considering that these guys are donks and you're getting better than 4-1 on a call I'm happy to call and pick off a potential bluff.