View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Playing perfect poker with the cards face up

Hi T_Perkin,
It seems to me the answer is: "If you have an edge, try to get the more money in the pot, if not try to draw as cheaply as possible. If you must pay to draw, the pot odds must support it." (For the cards up game. For a real game it becomes, "What move is most profitable against this opponent or this group of opponents.)

The real problem is, in real time how are you going to figure the numbers fast enough. Or perhaps, if you had tables of every possible set of matchups from heads up to full table, can you condense it to a tractable number of rules.

Then from there, going back to the real game, do your best to read you opponents and apply the aforementioned rules.

So clearly:

1. Monte Carlo tools can give you the absolute numbers for a given situation, and all situations

2. The problem is to condense the rules to a tractable number.

3. Assuming (2) is possible, from there hand reading is a key skill to success. The second key skill is knowing what move is profitable against your opponent(s). I.E. a raise here will get them to fold... a check here will induce a bet so I can check raise, etc.

So, seems to me the Rosetta Stone of poker is (2). As you suggest, a tractable set of rules or perhaps even just a tractable table of odds for the common "hand v. hand" and "hand v. hands" matchups.

As I've ranted in the past, what is needed is a fast way at the table to calculate your "probability of winning the hand" not the "probability of catching an out".

Sincerely
AA