View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Checkin\' that scare card: Party 5/10

UTG stats 18.6/11.5/2.4 (large number of hands)
BB stats 41/1.9/.55 (hands only from present table)

UTG is pretty new to the table and nothing of note has gone down with him.

BB is doing what he does. Calling.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (12 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12 BB

I enjoy collecting bets, especially in thin situations. I just thought it was prudent not to walk the wire here.

So here's why, let me know if you dig it: UTG raised preflop and I now know he's got that jack. I doubt he's got a king because two of those boys are in my pocket. So that only leaves him with QJ as a hand that I'm ahead of and might obtain a bet. Might. Especially because that scare card is going to be causing him worry too. Lastly, his play indicates that he is frugal.

The big blind now, what can we say? Sure, he loves calling, but I think even this board could prevent him from doing his favorite thing - that is, unless he has me beat.

On the other hand, I've got that big fat heart in my hand, so the flush is less likely. Plus, the big blind calls just so much, and utg may call based on size of the pot, fear of losing, frustration.